Friday, November 3, 2017

Lammergeier Transport - The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

Lammergeier Transport
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper 
© 2017 Christopher Burdett

"You have never truly eaten an egg until you have tasted the velvety decadence that is a freshly cooked Lammergeier egg. It practically melts in the mouth as if it was simply made of butter. Just thinking of its texture and flavor sends my mouth to water. A worldly man's breakfast is not complete without 3 fired tomatoes, a steamed radish, 7 strips of bacon (not too crispy), 3 shots of whiskey, and a Lammergeier egg, server yoke up of course.
I remember fondly that morning in the Bazaar, so many years ago, when I tasted my very first Lammergeier egg. I was but a young man, and at the time barely even an Acolyte, my Seer took me under his wing, literally, and opened up a magnificent culinary world to me that changed how I will forever look at food. That morning while dining on my first Lammergeier egg I found myself drunk from the pleasure that was this egg. Mind you, I had not even tasted the whiskey for I was not yet a drinker. Like I said, it was a very long time ago and I was a young man, well, more of a boy really. There I sat, feasting on this most intoxicating ambrosia as I listened to the heartbeat of feet, voices, and machinery that is very life's breath of the Bazaar. I was forever changed that morning and my Seer knew it too. I could see it in his many eyes that he had forever changed me with this one egg. I have gone on to share that experience with all of my Acolytes. When the time is right, I will sit them down and server them a Lammergeier egg. As they eat I look into their eyes and wait for that moment of change, that moment when mind and stomach become one, when they realize they were tasting something purely special. It does not happen with all of them. Some beings find the egg unpalatable, while others refuse to eat due to religious or cultural concerns, or they refuse because they themselves came from an egg, but for those that taste the Lammergeier egg and realize its magnificence, they are forever changed.
It is unfortunate that the price of a Lammergeier egg is so expensive these days. It seems like each year the price is more and more. It is as if the egg mongers are just raising the price to see at which point we will break. Not too mention that it is getting harder and harder to find a merchant who will even carry Lammergeier eggs. Sadly, I can barely afford to have one egg a week these days. Which is of course a great shame. It is the little things that bring such pleasure to life, a fine drink, a good story from an old friend, and a Lammergeier egg. When the pleasures in life or gone you begin to feel the progress of time and the weight of all those years upon your shoulders.
All this talk of Lammergeier eggs does stir the mind and the stomach. I think I might be decadent and stop by the egg mongers this afternoon to get an egg to have as my dinner. Wouldn't that be just wicked, a Lammergeier egg for dinner."
-Reginald Blatherskite - Anointed Seer of the Impure Husk
For more samples of my work head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment