Friday, January 26, 2018

Woven Shaper - The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

Woven Shaper
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper 
© 2018 Christopher Burdett
2050.1

            Not many know this, but I actually met Shaper once. I found him to be a very vexing and a rather peculiar fellow. Of course, he is a striking figure, everyone knows this, but it is his smell that struck me most. A most intoxicating aroma follows him, and it reminded me of when I was a child visiting my grandparent's cottage in the foothills of Thrakaa. The skies were always clear and bright in the foothills, the grass lush and green, and a cool breeze would blow up from the distant sea. Just thinking of Shaper reminders me of his bouquet and my childhood. How strange that I should associate these two? But I am getting ahead of myself.

I was newly a Seer when I crossed paths with Shaper. Those were heady days when I was just beginning to appreciate having full authority and power within the Impure Husk. We were still wearing those ridiculous purple hoods when leaving the tower, and our cloaks were a most unsettling mauve. I am so glad I eventually found myself in a position to change the dress codes. Some said it was a trivial waste of time and energy to care so about our garments. After all, we strive for truth and knowledge. I firmly believe if we do not care for how we look then others will not care for what we do or what we have to say. All the knowledge in the world is useless if no one will listen and learn from it.

As you know, we now wear ebony cloaks and vestments and most definitely no longer wear a hood when leaving the tower. I should really have a Psychometrician consult their subjects and derive the numbers from seeing how much better our information is being accepted by the populous since converting to the new dressing. They do say the clothes make the being!

How far I have come since those first days as a Seer. It sometimes sends my mind off in so many directions to think about how much I have seen and done over the years. Of course, I am stopped in thought when considering how long Shaper has been at the Bazaar, or Ethra for that matter. Gives you perspective for sure. All my accomplishments are just a drop in the bucket for a being that has lived thousands of years. Think of all those opportunities for exquisite meals and delicious drinks they must have had. That is of course if they, in fact, eat and drink. Can you imagine such a long life without the pleasure of a fine meal or to never have your thirst quenched with the best elixir? I would consider a shorter lifespan to afford myself five meals a day like any civilized being. Granted, if they don't eat, then they might not sleep, and that would certainly free up a lot of time to put towards your work. Perhaps that is how Shaper can make so many unusual and fascinating tools.

I believe it was dusk when I met Shaper. I was looking for a new restaurant in the Woven District that day. The restaurant served specially crafted meats produced by none other than Shaper. ‘Flavors never tasted before by any being’ was the restaurant's motto. I never did find the restaurant because it turned out that the restaurant exploded earlier that very day. I had yet to learn that Sem Tygo-Mees was in that very restaurant when it exploded. At the time I was just thankful that I already had lunch plans that day. While I was wandering around the alleys and streets of the Woven District with two very hungry Acolytes and an Organizer, I turned a corner and there he was, Shaper. Standing in the middle of the street he was unmistakable. Not many beings of his size or as well dressed. Shaper's suit was a dazzling metallic crimson, and it reflected everything around him. As he moved a beautiful display of light and shape would dance across the suit. I would certainly like to know who his tailor is!

Shaper and a team of Assistants were coaxing a Breaker into a cart when he must have noticed four members of the Impure Husk out on the town for the evening. Shaper came over to us and that was when I first noticed his aroma and all at once, I was in Thrakaa. It took me a moment to collect myself and remember my manors. I began to introduce myself when Shaper interrupted me with, "Nice hood, Clever One." After which he promptly returned to the Breaker and the cart. Such an odd fellow, but his fragrance is unmistakable.


Reginald Blatherskite - Anointed Seer of the Impure Husk
(Excerpt from a lecture on Sem Tygo-Mees)

For more samples of my work head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment